At Benton Harbor Charter School Academy, we see it as our job to empower teachers to be their very best!
We pride ourselves on creating a positive work environment. It’s a place you look forward to showing up to every day. A place where you feel valued and where you can work collaboratively with your team.
Benton Harbor Charter School Academy is a part of the Choice Schools Associates network of schools. Choice employs more than 600 educators and was named a Detroit Free Press 2017, 2018 & 2019 “Top Place to Work” based on employee surveys. Choice partners with school communities, empowering and equipping them to fulfill their unique mission and prioritizes the recruitment and retention of top talent as a critical component of success.
We require federal and state criminal background checks on all employees as well as a certification of professional conduct from former employers. Teaching and administration applicants must provide a resume, transcripts, certificates, and letters of recommendation.
At Benton Harbor Charter School Academy, we have broken up our grade levels into communities so that we can offer more mentorship and support to our staff and build a strong collaborative culture.
GRADE LEVEL COMMUNITIES
We believe that every child should have the opportunity to learn in a safe environment where their unique needs are met through individualized support.
Each community level has a lead teacher who is there for coaching and mentoring guidance. Each community level also has a student advocate to assist with restorative justice practices and classroom management. We are a team that works together to care, challenge, and encourage every single one of our students.
A Benton Harbor Charter School Teacher will be successful if they have or can build upon the following skills and characteristics:
- Teaching at BHCSA is more than just a job, it is a love for our students and our community
- Creates a positive environment of empowerment and expects greatness out of every student
- Has the ability to be flexible, adapt, and modify to each unique student and their learning needs
- Will be responsible and accountable to the success of their students in the classroom and the school as a whole
- Develop independent learners who have the critical thinking skills to flourish and thrive
- Can take initiative to go above and beyond the basic expectations
- Willing to ask questions, collaborate, and seek out additional resources/professional development to continuously grow as an educator
- Eager to build relationships and learn about students that come from diverse backgrounds
Benefits of being a Bobcat:
- A collaborative and professional environment
- Access to state-of-the-art technology and other teaching resources
- Equal and ample opportunities for professional development and advancement
- Benefits program including health, dental, and vision
- 401K options
- Life insurance
- Educational Assistance Programs to help with the cost of furthering education
- Paid time off in addition to regularly scheduled holidays
- Leadership opportunities within the school community
- Performance pay incentives
We believe all students can learn if they’re surrounded by passionate, talented, growth-minded educators who genuinely care and celebrate the uniqueness of each student. We have created a space where students can talk about themselves and their lives, share their opinions and gain confidence in themselves. Students are engaged, forming relationships and working with clear intention.
Trust and Empowerment.
Our team is trusted and empowered to be creative leaders of innovation. We foster a culture of open communication and feedback between team members and with students. Classrooms are dynamic and support a diverse group of learners. Students are provided with adequate space, materials, and supplies to be inspired by their learning environment.
Support and Development.
Everyone on our team is committed to the mission and focused on the whole student, working collaboratively to lead students down their unique path to success. We value and embrace lifelong learning and support each member of our team with relevant and timely opportunities. We prioritize time for collaboration and celebrate small victories along the way. We recognize the rigor, commitment and passion it takes to be a great teacher, and we reward heart and perseverance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Choice Schools Associates is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law. Choice Schools complies with the law regarding reasonable accommodation for handicapped and disabled employees.
A Teacher’s Purpose
To give our very best
So that kids can grow up
To become their very best.
It’s one of the hardest jobs there is.
It’s also one of the most rewarding.
We can always use more heart in our schools!